Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Queries of Life Insurance

I have a LIC policy in my name that is nearing maturity next month, the premiums were all paid by my mother in India. I am US citizen and hold a valid NRE account with SBI. Can LIC submit the money upon maturity into my NRE account, or will i have to open an NRO account?

This is not a concern of LIC but according to the banking norms, all income within India needs to be credited only in an NRO Account of an NRI and only income which is earned outside India can be credited in NRE Account, which is freely repatriable. Money of NRO Account is also repatriable but after the payment of the applicable taxes, if any.
Hence, you would have to contact LIC but they would provide you with a cheque of the maturity amount favouring your name and the sae needs to be credited only in an NRO account. 

No comments:

Post a Comment